Michael A. Burger - Partner
Michael is an essential part of our business planning and corporate law practice bringing to the table more than a decade’s worth of experience as a business attorney and commercial litigator. His years of experience handling contested, complex commercial matters and sophisticated business transactions makes him ideally suited to address the varied needs of growing businesses.
True to the NC Planning approach, Michael has built his practice upon the comprehensive representation, truly open communication, and ongoing legal planning that maximizes the client-attorney relationship and suits the needs of businesses and individuals alike. With great attention to detail, a strong analytical approach and a high level of responsiveness, Michael strives to serve his client’s needs with excellence by understanding their interests and goals and seeking the best solution for the problem at hand. While he’s no stranger to complicated and volatile legal battles, Michael believes that, more often than not, his clients’ interests are best served by thoughtful planning and a mind toward resolving disputes instead of prolonging them.
In addition to being a devoted counselor for his clients, Michael is a true “family man” who loves to spend time with his wife and two children. A native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Michael practically bleeds black and gold, consistently cheering on the Steelers and Penguins and holding out hope that the Pirates may one day find their way back to the World Series. In his spare moments, you may find Michael plucking away at an acoustic guitar, watching a Star Wars movie with his kids, or studying the finer points of Texas Hold’em poker.
Law Licenses & Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2003
- B.A., University of Maryland at College Park, College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, 2000
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Triangle Chapter Board Member (2015-present)
- The Jewish Federation of Raleigh-Cary, Trustee and Fundraising Event Chairperson (2015-present)
- Habitat for Humanity of Wake County, Annual Fund Committee Member (2014-present)
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Litigation Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section and Litigation Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- A Practical Primer on Commercial Loan Workouts: The Various Tools in the Toolbox for Working Out Troubled Commercial Real Estate Loans, Author and Presenter for the National Business Institute, 2014
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016-2018 Super Lawyers “Rising Star” Business Attorney Award
- 2018 Business NC Legal Elite Award
- 2018 Elite Lawyer